The Evolved Nest
RESTORING HUMAN NATURE
PRIMAL KNOW HOW FOR WISE LIVING
FOR NEW PARENTS
Paid Parental Leave. Paid parental leave will allow parents to be responsive to the ongoing needs of their young children, preventing the toxic stress that arises from babies left alone, to cry or in stranger daycare.
All nations should provide paid parental leave for at least a year, if not longer, so that parents can focus their full attention on bonding and building responsive care based on the needs of the child. Several European nations are effectively implementing this practice (Pew Research Center 2016).
Government supplementation of quality child care would reduce worker turnover. Free market systems do not work properly for this service as most parents cannot afford the cost of a highly educated and trained caregiver who provides quality care. Teachers also struggle within the profession due to unsustainably low wages.
Community Education about the Evolved Nest. Many parents and communities have forgotten what babies need for healthy development. The new research on epigenetic effects of experience on wellbeing must be widely disseminated.
The 2013 book, Evolution, Early Experience and Human Development (Edited by Drs. Darcia Narvaez, Jaak Panksepp, Allan Schore & Tracy Gleason) suggested that researchers do the following:
(1) Establish a baseline for evolved human functioning;
(2) Examine current epidemic problems in light of evolved, expected care (e.g., anxiety, depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome);
(3) Examine the effects of the missing evolved and expected care on health and immunity, including cancer (e.g., vagus nerve function)
(4) Establish a national database on the relation of early experience to mental health.
(5) Establish a research initiative focused on how the missing evolved, expected care may affect mental health at all ages.
The 2013 book, Evolution, Early Experience and Human Development (Edited by Drs. Darcia Narvaez, Jaak Panksepp, Allan Schore & Tracy Gleason) suggested that professional organizations do the following:
The Evolved Nest is an educational initiative of Kindred World, an award-winning 501C3 nonprofit "Serving the Re-Generation Since 1996."
Copyright © The Evolved Nest. All Rights Reserved